The Reno Superstore is about everything home improvement, including flooring.
It is essential to select flooring that best fits your lifestyle and budget. To that end, luxury vinyl tile and hardwood flooring are great choices for both homes and offices. But which is right for you?
To help you decide, let’s discuss the pros and cons of each.
Luxury Vinyl Tile vs. Hardwood Flooring
There are many options when it comes to flooring materials. If you have narrowed it down to luxury vinyl tile flooring or hardwood, here are a few factors to consider.
Factors to Consider When Buying New Flooring
1. Durability: Take into account the traffic the area will experience. For instance, more robust materials like tile or hardwood may be needed in high-traffic areas like hallways and entryways.
2. Maintenance: Consider your willingness to invest the time and energy in maintaining your new flooring. Make sure to select a flooring type that suits your lifestyle as some materials require more maintenance than others.
3. Style: Select a flooring material that complements the overall style and design of your home.
4. Cost: Take into account your budget and select a flooring material that falls within it. Because some materials require more complex installation, it is important to account for installation costs as well.
5. Comfort: If you plan to spend a lot of time walking or standing on your new flooring, think about how it will feel under your feet.
Pros & Cons of Hardwood and Luxury Vinyl Tile
These factors are critical when choosing any type of flooring. Now let us have a look at the pros and cons of hardwood and luxury vinyl tile flooring so that you can choose the best option for your space.
1. Aesthetics of the Flooring
Changing your flooring can make a world of difference to the overall decor of a room. Whether you are installing it in your home or office, how the material looks matters.
Hardwood flooring continues to be one of the most sought-after flooring types. It is a timeless choice that works equally well in both residential and commercial spaces. Of course, there are many different types of wood flooring, and each has its own unique characteristics.
Luxury vinyl tile flooring, which is a synthetic material, can flawlessly mimic hardwood or any other material). Additionally, there are many options for luxury vinyl tile (LVT) in terms of appearance, including faux hardwood and tiles. Therefore, if you value variety, this is something you ought to think about for your space.
Here is a quick rundown of what they provide:
- Timeless look
- Available in different lengths
- Available in different species, finishes, and colours
Luxury Vinyl Tile Flooring
- Available in various styles and colours
- Can mimic natural flooring materials like hardwood with ease
2. Durability of the Flooring
The term ‘durability’ applies to the hardness and stability of the flooring. To that end, hardness applies to the wear layer, while stability depends upon the thickness of the different components and how well it resists moisture and changes to the room’s climate. This is why the durability of your flooring matters greatly.
At The Reno Superstore, we ask clients to assess the area of installation before buying any type of flooring. That means understanding the foot traffic the space will receive to determine suitable flooring. These factors play a great role in maintaining the durability of your flooring. No matter how good a product may be installed, if the material is not right, it will almost certainly not last. This element is crucial to the longevity of your flooring.
When properly maintained, hardwood flooring can last for many years. The type of wood you choose should depend on your needs, as different species have different degrees of hardness.
However, water and hardwood floors do not mix. Regardless of the type of hardwood flooring you install, over time, exposure to moisture will cause the wood to deteriorate. Therefore, hardwood flooring is not the best option if you intend to install it in areas of your home that are prone to moisture.
Luxury vinyl tile is a durable material. There are different types of LVT for residential and commercial use, so make sure to ask about them when you buy. LVT comes in a wide range of thicknesses, which makes it ideal for a variety of spaces. It is also excellent for moisture-prone areas of your home or business.
Here is a quick rundown of what it provides:
- Durable and stable material for flooring
- Available in a variety of finishes that offer protection against regular wear and tear
- Can be installed in both residential and commercial spaces
Luxury Vinyl Tile Flooring
- Durable and stable
- Water-resistant flooring
- Can be installed in a wide variety of spaces
3. Cost of the Flooring
Budget is an important consideration for your project, so pay attention. The Reno Superstore offers both hardwood and luxury vinyl tile flooring at great prices in Toronto and Mississauga. We also provide easy financing, even with our installation services.
Get in touch with us to discuss your project. But, we always ask all our clients to give some thought to the amount they are planning to spend. It is crucial to factor in installation costs, extras like moulding, and the cost of transportation when creating your budget. Hardwood and LVT both offer a luxurious finish to your project, but they differ quite a bit when it comes to cost.
Hardwood is an expensive flooring material because it has to be harvested, processed, and often hand-finished to give it the best look. LVT, by comparison, is less expensive but still more expensive than your average vinyl flooring. It is always a good idea to understand everything about vinyl flooring before investing in it.
But that being said, both hardwood and LV are cost-effective in the long run. So, if you are seeking a long-term solution, either works. Again, we highly recommend selecting professional installation services for the best results.
Here is what to expect:
- Expensive but cost-effective in the long run
Luxury Vinyl Tile Flooring
- Cheaper than hardwood flooring, but more expensive than average vinyl flooring
4. Resale Value of the Flooring
Renovations are not cheap, especially flooring. So, when making any change in your house, it is important to consider the resale value that particular project will add to your home if you decide at some point to sell. The right flooring renovation can help you turn a profit.
It should not come as a surprise that hardwood flooring is one of the most popular types of flooring among prospective buyers. That means it has a very high resale value. Luxury vinyl tile flooring, on the other hand, does not.
However, potential buyers will love its ease of maintenance and waterproof features. So if you are planning to get an upgrade to help you sell your house faster, then LV should not be your first choice.
Here is a quick overview:
- One of the best investments when it comes to home renovation, with high return
Luxury Vinyl Flooring
- Not much resale value but is loved for its durability and ease of maintenance
Which One Should I Choose?
The answer is simple: you should choose as per your lifestyle needs, budget, and personal preferences. We always recommend understanding the goal of your project before you spend anything. Do you want an investment with high returns? Or do you want to make a budget-friendly but durable upgrade? We also suggest that you understand the product of your choice properly before you buy. If you have any questions or concerns, ask the experts at The Reno Superstore. Need to plan a project? Get in touch with us in our Toronto or Mississauga-area stores, or contact us online. We will help you find the right flooring in no time.